Monday, December 29, 2008

Watching the pot.

It is 3:53 AM, and I am up in a frenzy. Just the usual, pondering things and frantically alternating between crying and trying to count kicks. (See Day Three post.) But, when there's not much to report in the kick department, sometimes the pondering helps. The other day, I was relating my kick counting to the phrase, "a watched pot never boils." I guess it's relevant in that people are always suggesting that I try relaxing or taking my mind off of moments when I am feeling crazy about Baby J. As in, if you stop looking for kicks or counting the days, they will simply come. And, if I sit around in constant wait, they will take longer to arrive. As in, "a watched pot never boils."

And, I was just thinking how utterly stupid that is. I mean, equally stupid I guess is sitting around watching the literal pot you hope will boil. But, what is obvious is that "a watched pot always boils." There is frankly no reason why not to sit around and watch the pot. For example, if you are starving, and have just gotten your hands on some pathetic noodles. You are probably pretty desperate for boiling water. I can completely understand watching that pot. And, despite the myth, I promise that even if you stand around staring the water is quite likely to boil. (Assuming, of course, that you are not a complete dunce and the pot is on a stove which is turned on to an appropriate temperature, etc. Otherwise, it is true, it will not boil.)

So, taking it one step further into neurosis, I would add, "...if you are not carefully attending the pot, disaster is likely to ensue." Consider this, what idiot suggests placing a pot on direct heat and walking away? An idiot soon to be homeless due to fire, that's for sure.

Basically, my point is that watching the pot is sometimes all you can do. (And, sometimes it's even, believe it or not, the most prudent thing.) When you are desperate for boiling water, there is no reason to tear yourself away. Here I am, starving for Baby J., so you bet your, err, neck I will be sitting around looking for the nourishing first boiling little rumbles of her kicks. And, then I will stay awake all night making sure she is boiling safely and reasonably. 52 more hours of watching this particular pot.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Hear, hear, Catherine. Like you said: sometimes, you can't help but watch the pot. It's all you can think about.

I'm sorry to hear you are so anxious. I wish there was something I could say that would ease your fears. Please know I'm sending lots of gentle thoughts your way, in the hope they provide some peace and comfort today and in the days ahead.