Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Speaking of honesty (thanks Mary!).

I am not sure I am the mom - or the person- I ever thought I would be. Here are the nine worst things I do and what makes me ok with doing them. Plus a confusing little bonus about me.

1) Sometimes when Eleanor is tantruming hard - which happens a good few times a day - I mock her. I very rarely do this, as in four times ever, but when she's been hoarsely yelling for 15 minutes, it feels so good. She then yells, "STOP!" And I say, "Then you stop." She does not. She doesn't usually get what she's freaking out about.



2) We make cookies from scratch at least three times a week. I let Eleanor eat SO much cookie dough. Like 5 spoonfuls of dough. (To my tiny bit of credit, we do use a powder egg replacer, so no danger there.) At least they are homemade.



3) Eleanor has watched 40 Year Old Virgin. Enough said. She knows the words to many books, because we don't always sit around watching R movies.



4) Sometimes, Eleanor finds Josephine's pacifiers around. And, I don't exactly-always-every-time stop her when she puts them in her mouth. I am working on this one.



5) We all know I let her drink black coffee. Just a sip.



6) Josephine pretty much avoids the mockery and amphetamines, but I'll be darned if I don't sometimes swaddle her and plunk her in bed wide awake in hopes we can catch a snooze. My waning sanity is important to me and she is a newborn, so happy to pass out.



7) Eleanor sometimes wakes up before I am ready. And, I let her "hang out" in the crib for a bit. She loves it.

8) I feed Eleanor canned vegetables. Get over it, they're still vegetables. And, the salt-free kind.

9) Josephine watches House with me - every single day. She can't see more than a few feet in front of her own face.

BONUS (about me): I occasionally listen to Christian rock. Not often, but when I do I Christian-rock out. It's catchy.

3 comments:

Myself said...

Those things make you a great mom.

I have a glorious explanation as to why. however, it's damn near one in the morning and I have an early day tomorrow.

As usual, I shall expound...later

Lora said...

You goober, those totally do not count as anything remotely bad.

And...Lily watches Charmed with me every morning and she gets like 60% of it. She is very into scary things right now and gets a kick out of it.

Also, we've been eating more junkfood than Homer Simpson here lately.

Leslie said...

Yeah, if those are the worst things you do, I'd say you're about as far away from a bad mom as you could be.

When Sam was younger, sometimes the best way to stop one of his tantrums was to mock him. I did it a lot. He would cry, I would pretend to cry. He would whine, I would whine louder. It worked -- he would become so fascinated with what I was doing that he would stop pitching a fit!

We always have Fox's Animation Domination on during Sunday evenings, and now he's really started to like the Simpsons and the Family Guy.