Tuesday, February 27, 2007

On a lighter note...

...Believe it or not, there are moments when the sadness and anxiety subside, and I am just a normal person. I go for walks, laugh heartily and often, get mad for no reason, bump my head into things, gossip, read, go to concerts, and snack in front of the television. And, I spend most of that time, either at school trying to jackhammer my love of literature into generally skeptical tweens, or at home with my husband and my pets. Here are a couple of quotes of "normalcy" to share from the last few days...

(Bill driving, me in passenger seat craning head to see out the window)

Me: "Wait, so the sun is relatively small for a star?"
Bill: "Umm, wow, I was sure that was common knowledge..."
Me: "I learn new things every day...hmm...And the moon is just a rock?"
Bill: "Yes, and while we only have one moon, some planets have many moons. Saturn has, like, 20 moons."
Me: "Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a few more moons?"
Together: "Hmmm....Yeah."
___________________________________________

(Bill holding Kitty's "lobster", which is just that, a fluorescent pink lobster on a string of elastic.)

Bill: "Watch this - kitty has serious 'ups'. This is going to be the number one 'ups'."
Me: ...

(Bill swings the lobster across the floor in a grand gesture, then whips it back, causing kitty to leap into the air, and twist wildly in the style of X-Games competitors.)

Bill: (Proudly) "I need to be in the Westminster Kitty Show."
Me: ...

(Later, Bill admits that he truly meant to say that "he", not the kitty, needed to be a part of the WKS (made up). He attributes kitty's "ups" predominantly to his superb lobster handling. Admittedly, he does manage to encourage kitty to leap to nearly my eye level - still a great feat, despite the fact that I border on legal dwarfism.)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I enjoy your writing whether funny or more serious. I haven't ever pictured you as a dark and troubled soul. I'm sure no one else does either. Funny thing is, your car conversation seems strangely familiar. I think I've had similar ones with my husband. :)

I didn't know that about the Sun either.

Lora said...

Yep, I would like to echo everything Rachel just said :)

Anonymous said...

Ha. I imagine Bill in a fancy suit, and clubbed- foot kitty on a long leash with a gold collar (even thought I think gold would be a terrible color on a grey cat; but still, it sounds regal). Bill will prance the kitty around the arena, smiling from ear to ear. haha. I love it