Monday, February 05, 2007

Something I wrote on the day of our "finding out" with Sophie. (June, 2005)

My Daughter
It’s a remarkable feeling when you finally, after months of speculation, find out one true identifying characteristic of your unborn baby. Needless to say, I started crying Friday at my sonogram when the technician sang the word “girl”. I don’t need to fulfill some sort of young mother-daughter fantasy relationship, but from the beginning I felt I was carrying a female child. Had I been wrong, I would surely have been just as happy, but I felt that I knew in my heart I was having a girl, and couldn’t imagine totally redefining the creature inside me midway through my pregnancy. It was an amazing moment to know that the baby was a girl – my daughter. We had named her at the double pink line, and never looked back. We had never even thoroughly considered boys’ names, sure that we knew inside that this child was a girl. Sophie Salome.

Night settles on the day we met you
Stars rise over the moment
Making you real.

Morning light pours through the window
On another red day with you
Closer to leaving me.

Music laughs and cries in the tones of your voice
Felt only in tiny thrashing appendages
In the deep of blue womb.

Knowing this day would dawn like any other
I brace myself for your strength
And sweet, Sophie Salome.

1 comment:

Charlotte : ) said...

Wow - I remeber this so well that I still have times when I think of her as "And sweet, Sohpie Salome."

Yeah, I actually put the "And, sweet" in her name. : )

I remeber when you "found out" that your little Sophie Salami was a girl so clearly. The quotations are funny, of course, because you always knew. I think everyone always knew.

I'm glad that you posted this today. It's a good reminder for everyone how very lucky Bayby is. Not everyone has such a wonderful mommy and daddy and her very own angel sister. Miss Sophie will be like Bayby Girl's Heavenly Jimminy Cricket.

I know how accutely you miss her, especially today. We all miss her and love her so much. But I'm sure she's loving watching her family grow from Heaven.

Big hugs,
Charlotte : )