Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I heard this would happen.

So, I heard from many of my friends and family who have children (well, not many, but those few close ones who feel comfortable talking to me about pregnancy and babies), that there would be a moment in which I simply "popped". I was told it would be different than the first time, more abrupt and obvious. I was told that it would be around four months. Of course, I am an idiot, and I thought because I got past four months avoiding "the pop", that I would slide gradually through pregnancy, like a buoyant, resilient first-timer. Not the case. The change would just hit me a little later, and with the profundity that can only be equated with jolly old St. Nick. I am five and a half months now, and in the last week, my stomach has nearly doubled in size. People at work have begun to comment on my rapid growth, and my belly is now surely the most notable part of my relatively small personage. In addition to general largess (see closer to seven or eight months pregnant), I am having much of the heaviness and discomfort of that stage as well. I am off to the bathroom each night close to 10 times. I am having much trouble getting up from a sitting position, or bending down to perform simple tasks. My appetite is ferocious, and I am satiating it at every opportunity, regardless of the consequential bloating and discomfort. I have officially gained about 15 pounds, and I am just like some sort of waddling, grouchy, anxious, but somehow still joyful, stomach. Luckily, I am sleeping well, if always, obsessively on the left.


Here is a giant stomach for your viewing pleasure. I am sure Bayby girl won't mind.



Quote eighth grader, Derrick, "You know what's weird? You're a really small person all around...but your stomach is just so big." My response, "Well, Derrick, that's what happens when you try to grow one person in another person."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's very exciting! And I am eager to see the popped belly in person. (because that means there's a BAYBY inside, about which I am VERY excited).

Lora said...

I think your belly is beautiful too! I guess that 2nd baby belly popping phenomena isn't a myth afterall. Good thing you look fabulous :)

Rachel said...

Count yourself lucky, I seemed to need maternity clothes in the second month when I was pregnant with Bennett. You look absolutely amazing. I think pregnant bellies are so beautiful. The good thing about the early 'pop' is you don't have quite as much of that awkward time of everyone wondering if you are pregnant or just gaining weight. :)

Anonymous said...

(Scream!) I don't think I can express how happy those photos make me. I will have to be ripped from the computer screen this evening.