Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I don't usually post about our dinner...

...because, um, who cares about our dinner. But, every so often, something is just so pretty that even I have to take note. We decided to do a spin on a very plain Jane American summer dinner. I made tofu cutlets (which became sandwiches on some organic bread with farm stand tomatoes (pictured with Muenster cheese)), Eastern shore corn, homemade baked herby fries (as easy as they seem), and strawberries and hunks of watermelon for dessert. It was delicious. And, for the heck of it, I'll post my tofu recipe below. :o) (Boiling the corn is up to you and Eleanor is not included.)

Tofu Cutlets:

One block extra firm tofu. (Never the kind from the shelf for this recipe - always from the refrigerator. And, you have to play around with brands - the firmer the better you will see.) Our store sells a kind with black pepper and garlic in the actual tofu - that's delicious.

Remove from the package and press the water out lightly with a towel.

You'll need three bowls.

Bowl One) Whisk together: 1/8 cup mustard (I use spicy brown) and 1/2 cup soy milk (or regular).

Bowl Two) One cup flour of your choosing. I used white because it was what I had. (I know, shame on me.)

Bowl Three) Bread crumbs. I made my own with some day old organic wheat bread (which you can often get for free at markets), a handful of Rosemary and Olive Oil Triscuits (Bill's idea, which rocked), raw wheat germ, garlic powder, and black pepper. But, you could also buy "breadcrumbs." Haha, that would work just as well (especially if combined in a food processor with Triscuits, because Triscuits are awesome). If you had $1.99 and the energy to go to the store, which I did not.

Preheat your stovetop to medium, with a skillet with a coating of olive oil (or another oil that holds up to heat better, but again, I had olive oil on hand).

Cut the tofu into 1/3 inch thick squares and "assembly line it." Coat Tofu with flour. Then mustard/milk. Then breadcrumbs.

Fry for a few minutes on both sides (followed by a few minutes on a paper towel to catch the excess oil). And, mangia. :o)

(Wow, that was A LOT of work. Why do people EVER post recipes? I need a nap.)

No comments: