Thursday, June 04, 2009

Delusions of Cabin Fever.

Well, Eleanor has just recovered from her first fever. Monday morning, she was really lethargic and out of it. And, like a freak, I smelled ketones on her breath. I took her to the pediatrician, sure it was onset of Type I Diabetes (and I will admit, I bought the hype and worried for 10 seconds about swine flu). Turns out, aside from some ketones in her urine, which without the presence of sugar mean nothing (except for that I have a superior sense of smell), not a thing was wrong. But, mother's intuition proved right when she spiked a fever a few hours later of 104. By yesterday, she was fine - back to her old self mostly and the fever was almost completely gone. Now, she is really back to base temperature. But, we have been in the house since Monday, and I am going nuts. Here are some things I've noticed:

1) I don't have a stance on spanking. But, I'll tell you what, there is one reason only why I don't spank. And that is because sometimes I want to - so bad.

2) Have you ever been putting away clothes in your too small closet and your toddler has been all-up-in-your-business? You tell her, "You need to get away from me." (You've tried to be pleasant.) And, she seems to disappear so fast, like lightening. And, of course, you wonder, "Has it worked? Did she get the message? Oh no, did I hurt her feelings?" And, suddenly you realize, the reason you think she went away is because she is literally SO underfoot that you could not even see her.

3) The best thing about toddlers is that they give you warnings. I know when I hear the words, "Check baby," Eleanor is about to wake up Josephine. When I hear, "Me climb couch," "...jump bed," "...fall down," "...bounce fast," something is about to happen.

Oh, she is killing me. Hanging on me screaming. This has been a rough few days.

1 comment:

melissa said...

about a month ago when Abigail got a fever, i was totally sold that she had the swine flu. i then proceeded to tell the ped. receptionist AND the doctor (and then subsequently her normal ped) my thoughts. i'm pretty sure they thought i was insane.

i hear you on the spanking. i will only do so if she's done something very dangerous (ie. run into the street, reached up to the hot stove) and only after she's been warned numerous times NOT to do it, but still does. sometimes that's the only thing that seems to sink in. and, i have actually smacked her leg during diaper changes when she's kicked me in the stomach, on purpose. i'm pretty sure pregnant ladies should not be kicked in the stomach by 2 year old children who are three feet tall and weigh 35.5 lbs , but you can call CPS on me now. ;)

i've uttered that phrase more than once. it often includes the word "seriously." and "now.", ie: "you seriously need to get away from me, NOW." or "you need to get away from me NOW. SERIOUSLY."

i'm so happy to hear that she's feeling better!! can't wait to see you guys on Saturday!