Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Sloth (me), Meet Stupid (me).

Lately, Josephine falls asleep around 10:15 am and sleeps until about 1 pm.  It's her main nap of the day, so I want to make sure it's extra restful.  And, because she eats breakfast around 8, I give her a snack right before she goes down.  That snack is almost always a fig newton-y-type thing.  So, today she was wandering around (firmly tethered to the furniture of course, because the child flat out refuses to walk-walk).  Eating a newton.  Whimpering.  Playing with my iPhone.  Grabbing for my computer.  Exhausted.  Wailing in agony when I closed the computer. 

In an effort to sate her while I checked the hours for the bookstore online, I pulled the chord off the laptop and handed it to her.  (Hey Sloth!)  Of course, I forgot -- again -- that she loves to suck plugs.  And, usually, of course, I don't like her to suck plugs.  But, usually if she is sucking them it means they are...unplugged.  But, in this case, I didn't think that said plugged was, in fact, plugged into the wall.  (Hey Stupid!)  So, poor little Josephine, so trusting of her mother, immediately popped the plug into her mouth.  Zap.  Shocked.  Pain to the tongue.  Screaming follows.  I guess that's fair when you're 13 months old and your mouth gets electrocuted.

So, in my best parenting move of the day so far, I took the plug from Josephine.  I looked at the plug, and saw that some wet, slobbery newton had become lodged in the adaptor.  So, I thought, Well I will need to dislodge that newton.  But...with what?  The paper towels are 12 feet away in the kitchen.  And, the q-tips?  It's at least 15 feet to the bathroom... (Hey Sloth!)  So, in a terrifically genius turn of events, I stick my own 27 year old tongue directly into the plug.  Zap.  Shocked.  Pain to the tongue.  Cursing follows electrocution.  (Hey Stupid!)

(It is of note that at that point, Eleanor was sitting across the room, watching the scene with her left eyebrow arching nearly beyond the parameters of her face. 

Also, of note, my tongue is still tingly.  And, for some reason...I have to fight the urge to lick the plug again...)

No comments: