Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Frenulum no more.

Well, Josephine had her frenulum snipped today. Apparently, it was adhered in two places, so it was definitely for the best (for now (eating) and the future (speech, french kissing, etc.)). It was definitely low-impact, in terms of our medical happenings in the last six weeks (ie, dog bite and what followed, c-section, etc.). And, their recommendation is to nurse ASAP. And, luckily Aunt Maura was along to give Eleanor lunch while I nursed Josie J. And, I am happy to report that nursing was way less painful (and bloody - TMI) now that Josephine has essentially been given a tongue!

On the down side of things, I nursed for 25 minutes on each side. And, immediately after I took her off, she woke up crying and ferociously eating her hands. Clearly, still hungry. So, she had a bottle of expressed breastmilk (a little less than she normally eats, which means hopefully she got something while nursing). And, at this moment, I am pumping and getting a lot of milk. I can't explain how frustrating it is to have an adequate supply of milk and a hungry baby and to be unable to transfer one to the other in the way nature intended.

It's just really disappointing.

Anyway, for those of you who read this and DON'T want to read about my boobs, I promise this will be the last time I post something in this vein.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I love hearing about your boobs. Feel free to post pics!

I'm worried about breastfeeding as well and am really hoping that I can hang in there this time. You are an inspiration to me! Glad the Frenulum-snippy went well. Big hugs to all of you :)

Amy said...

Breastfeeding is definately a challenge. I didn't have enough milk for my son when he was a baby. He kept losing weight. Mabye baby J. is just a really hungry baby.

I am with Lora, you can talk about your boobs all you want.

I am also scared to breasfeed again...Hang in there.