Monday, November 03, 2008

Lesson learned...safely.

We had a really lovely weekend, this weekend. But, I have a sinus infection and yesterday, I was totally spinning my wheels. As an attempt to jump start me, Bill brought me a steaming, brimming (albeit teacup sized) cup of coffee. He set it on the nightstand, and walked back out of the room. Eleanor and I thanked him, but left it because I don't like it quite that hot. We were reading our books in bed, a new pastime that I completely love. But, of course, I had to break the spell moments later to get up and go get a tissue for my pitiful nose. I put Eleanor on the floor (because I still don't trust her getting in and out of the bed on her own, as she does in fact do a nose dive to the floor about 50% of the time). Then, I walked out to go the five feet away to the bathroom. As I pulled out a tissue and brought it to my nose, I remembered. I just knew it. The coffee. (You may remember from previous posts that Eleanor loves coffee with a passion and points out any coffee cup she sees, even when it isn't obvious.) I raced back to the room, only to be met with a horrifying sight. My baby was holding the full coffee cup in two hands and looking at me with a combination of terror (the cup was SO hot) and ecstasy (she had finally, after all of her scheming, gotten her hands on some Coff-Coff). I dove across the room, not sure what I would do when I got there, not to scald her little hands or body. But, I just didn't get there in time. Luckily, she threw the cup away from her (now I'm glad she has been practicing her throws with every round object she sees) as she began to scream. The hot coffee splashed all over the bed and floor, but none got onto Eleanor, herself. (Had she dropped the cup or unwittingly pulled it toward her, we surely would have taken our first trip to the ER. And, had the cup been any bigger, she might not have had such success picking up without burning herself to begin with. So, thank goodness for those things.) Nonetheless, it was terrifying, and I guess we need to officially be more careful with Coff-Coff, or just start drinking it iced.

3 comments:

Dorki said...

My dear friend, you have the most beautiful soul. I love you and I appreciate all that you are.

Anonymous said...

avery grabbed one of brian's travel mugs off the counter when he was a toddler. he spilled it on his head and got a horrible burn. he still has a scar from it... that was a lucky one for you momma!

CAGB said...

Seriously lucky. And, I know it makes me look totally cavalier to say, "I really do promise to be SO much more careful in the future," but I do.