Monday, March 08, 2010

I'm calling it Spring.

In Maryland, we have a whole lot of 30 degree weather, about a week or two of the 40s, and on into the glorious 50s.  Today, it even topped off around 60.  It was amazing.  Eleanor decided it was "warm enough for flip flops" and we went to the park!  The girls had a blast.  They climbed the rock structure.  I say "they" because Josephine was in full kid mode.  And, in the 30 seconds I was looking away, had gotten to the second tier.  Josephine is my busy little turkey!  :o)

But, there were a few heart breaking moments, where Eleanor was shirked by other little girls.  (Next time, Abigail, we're taking you whether you like it or not.  Just kidding, but we did miss you.)

At one point, E was driving the steering wheel and two little girls right around her age sauntered up.  One (who was a bit aggressive) pointed right in E's stickered face and said, "You're funny!"  And her friend said "Yeah, you're funny!"  Eleanor looked hurt briefly, and then said "I'm not funny!  I am driving a choo choo train with my mommy and Jofine.  And you can ride!  All aboard! Toot toot!!!"  The little girls laughed in her face and ran off.  Eleanor looked down and said, "I guess them don't want to ride my train."  I admit, I almost cried.  But, I don't want Eleanor to think she needs to cry every time someone doesn't want to play with her, so I sat down on her "train" and foolishly yelled "Choo Choo!!!" with a full fist pump.  That seemed to do the trick.

And, the next time the girls ran by, E told them that her "train shoots out candy - want some!?"  And, all two year old girls want imaginary candy.  So, the one snatched the "candy" and ran away.  But, the other thanked her and sat down to ride.  It was really nice.

Later, as we were leaving, I told Eleanor to say goodbye to her friends, meaning the whole group of kids.  Eleanor turned to the playground and said, "Bye friends!  Bye...friends.  Wait a minute...we not have any friends."  Heart.  Breaking.

So, when she got a safe distance away, she yelled "We gonna leave now!  We gonna leave!  We're leaving!"  When it appeared no one was going to respond, she did something so Napoleon Dynamite, and yelled "DON'T COME!" and ran off, head down, pushing her stroller.

It's so interesting watching her deal with real kid issues.  Even if it hurts.  And, anyway, it doesn't hurt her.  She is indefatigable in that regard.  But, still, later I hugged her extra tight and told her what a great job she did.  :o)

1 comment:

melissa said...

my eyes teared up reading all of that. i know we've talked about it before, because it's happened to Abigail a number of times, but it's so hard when your kid gets the cold shoulder ... you just want to chase down the "mean girls" (or boys, if so) and shake them. but, i totally would've done the same exact thing - plopped down and rode the train with gusto. that's why we're here - to be our children's best friends when no one else wants to, and even when eventually they don't want us to be. i'm sorry we didn't come - next time i tell you we're staying home so i can clean the house (which is always fruitless anyway) tell me to shove it and to come anyway. :) :) oh, and please give my sassy girl some hugs from us. Jo-Jo, too. :)