Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sex, sharps, and blood.

Well, I just thought that title would get people's attention. :o)

Sex - I would just like to state for the record that I was sure this little silly was a girl. If asked, I would always say, "Well, I think it's a girl, but who knows." It is always awkward to say, "It's definitely a girl." There is that fear of being wrong, and feeling like a fool when it comes to your own child. Although, with Sophie, we just absolutely, unquestionably knew she was a girl. And, with Eleanor, I was desperately hoping she was a girl, but I really did think she was a boy. This time, it definitely felt more like Sophie - as in, I just felt she was a girl. And, she is. I couldn't be happier. (Bill is happy too, because he loves the idea of having a bunch of little girls. And, he thinks as long we have girls I'll be willing to keep trying for a boy. We'll have to hash that one out. Haha.)

Sharps - Isn't it amazing that, after literally hundreds of times injecting myself, I still haven't got the hang of when and where it's going to be painful.

Blood - Dr. EK basically told us our titre of antibodies is so low that we should simply not worry at all about them. And, I've decided to do just that. I asked about best (nothing happens) and worst (in-utero blood transfusion) case scenarios. He gave me both, but told me that we are so far into the realm of best case scenarios that it would be ridiculous to even consider worst case scenarios. Likely, here is the what happened. Bill is c-positive. I am c-negative. When we had Sophie (who must have been c-positive), I was exposed to c-positive blood. So, now I am predisposed to reactions to c-antigens. But, of course, this didn't show up with Eleanor, which must mean she is also c-negative. This baby must be c-positive, and the normal and tiny mixing of fetal and maternal blood has activated a very low level of my c-antibodies. So, that's that. That explains why Eleanor didn't have this problem, why this baby does. And, it also did nothing to explain Sophie's passing. (Still they say it was total fluke fetal-maternal hemorrhage.) But, it DID let me learn one more thing about my first little girl! New knowledge about Sophie doesn't happen often. But, to learn that she is c-positive is just a silly, neat little thing to know. Something fun in common with her daddy. And, with this baby. Anyway, so that is good.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Wow! I had no idea C even existed -- do they just test for that automatically? I'm O neg, so I get how it works -- I think :)

I'm glad its good news all around. I wonder what similarities this one will share with her sisters. I guess more will be revealed!