Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Bad Day for Grammar, but otherwise...

I got awesome news from two friends today. All the time we all spend praying for babies in tummies seems to have payed off!

A very close friend had a wonderful and reassuring ultrasound, and got to see her new baby for the first time! Yay, Baby Red and Gold!

And, yet another friend found out she is unexpectedly pregnant. She and her husband have suffered through five miscarriages, and were actively, however unsuccessfully, trying not to get pregnant. (They had recently made the decision to adopt through China.) She is remaining pretty aloof, at least on the outside. But, I know she must be beyond nervous.

Both of these ladies can use your prayers. :o) Add them to the list of moms for whom to pray.

Now, here are the straight up imbeciles who need your prayers for intelligence. These are otherwise intelligent and educated people. Here is a conversation I witnessed at work today, between the Music teacher and (get this) the other Language Arts teacher. We'll call them Flanagan and Farley respectively.

Flanagan: "Yes, I think there is no way he should pass sixth grade."
Farley: "I mean, being honest, I think he is working at a fourth grade level."
Flanagan: "I'll be angry if he goes on to the seventh grade. They either need to hold him back, or send him to a special school."
Farley: "I totally agree. But, then he'd have to deal with the stigmatism."
Flanagan: "Oh, true. There is a stigmatism associated with that."
Farley: "But, screw the stigmatism."
Flanagan: "Yeah, screw the stigmatism."

I am sorry. Stigmatism? Did they mean "the property of a lens that is stigmatic" or "the condition of being affected by stigmata"? Wait, again, stigmatism?

One more for good measure. This one is from our principal, a very well-educated man with many years of education under his hiked-up and monogrammed belt. This occurred at a middle school faculty meeting, in the midst of discussion a particular child renown for behavioral issues.

Middle School Teacher: "Well, where do we draw the line? This child rode a desk down the stairway. Didn't a child get suspended last month for stealing a juice box?"
Principal: "Yes, but that was the result of cumulative incidences. With him, there were many incidences. With this student, the incidences seem unrelated."

Wait - "incidences"? "I think you mean incidents," I screamed in my head, as I cringed along with many others. This offense is less egregious, and both of these I normally would let go. But, the repetition and confidence with which they were used triggered my gag reflex. And, is a school really the forum for such butchery of the English Language.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

You would hope not, but honestly, when I taught, I remember receiving memos and notes from other teachers and just cringing at some of the grammar and spelling mistakes I saw. Elementary things, too, like "they're/their/there," and "you're/your."

That's excellent news about your friends! How wonderful!

Charlotte : ) said...

I'm really glad to hear about impeccably clean home owner's news. : )

And if you're a stickler for grammar, I'm one for irony. Because I read this and thought, "Uhhh. That's the worst. That's as bad as when my super right wing friend tell me her favorite book is The Handmaid's Tale" or my Dept. of Defense worker friend says her favorite movie is Team America."

Both situations just make you want to say, "No, no, no. We need to sit down so I can explain some things to you..."

CAGB said...

Yes - good good. It is impeccably clean home owner.

:o)

Lora said...

Hopefully that stigmata is not too bad, I heard its hell on one's hands :)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I think you are the great exception when it comes to teachers.:(yikes. Let me guess...these are all men. Congrats to your friends on the babies. It's baby extravaganza!!!

Anonymous said...

so i'm guessing they meant "stigma"? maybe? wow.

Rachel said...

I'm the queen of using improper grammar and incorrect words. Also I'm a horrible speller, but I digress. However, I'm the first to try to correct myself. Especially when I'm speaking and the wrong word comes out, I stop my train of thought (my husband hates that) and correct myself. I'm hoping your principal realized he was using the wrong word and felt it would look worse to correct himself. Let's hope it was a pride issue and not stupidity.