Monday, September 25, 2006

The Fruits of Our Labor. Or Something.

One of our major projects over the last month has been home-improvement. DIF gel, anyone? Okay, so I understand wallpaper was once popular. I really do, I mean, what's better than gaudy and intricate designs pasted almost irrevocably onto the walls of an otherwise perfectly good home? False. Wallpaper is nonsense. If you have wallpaper, I am sorry for saying this. If you actually applied wallpaper, I am sorry for the person who next moves into your house. I hate to alert wallpaper-lovers to this fact, but wallpaper is out. Seriously, HomeDepot no longer sells wallpaper. Got that? You have to really work to get the insidious wall-destroyer.

But, really, I don't hate wallpaper. I hate removing it. When a person's new house is laden with gilded pastel early-80s style paper and border, a person is left with no choice. But, we did it, with butter knives, our own nails, coasters, anything we could find to tear the cloying bubbled-up paper from its firm position on our walls. (I won't even go into the brutal transformation from ancient tan sculpted carpet to the floors you see below.) But, here is what we've got.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Those are beautiful colors! They're all so warm, friendly, and inviting. It's how I imagine you two are. I especially love that red chair rail.

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
You guys did a great job. I am amazed that you did all that; and the details, are unexpected, yet so you. It shows that this is really yours and you love it.
I can't wait to come over and sit in that inviting papasan room/chair.

M said...

Note to self: Invite Catherine & Bill to visit then lock them in the house with buckets and buckets of paint!

(We actually have wallpaper in our bathroom with glitter in it- GLITTER! I mean really... why?)

The house looks amazing!!!! Your work ethic is impressive!

Lora said...

*ring, ring* "Yes, Catherine? This is Lora, I know you from blogland. I was wondering if you'd be interested in decorating my house. The ghetto I live in could use some sprucing up"

Anonymous said...

It really does look great. I am a little jealous though that you already have art to hang on the wall. I'm still working on that. PS- the wood floors look amazing. I never knew you were both so decorator savvy. I'm glad I have friends with really good taste. PS- if there is more wallpaper to tear down, let me at it. I LOVE to tear wallpaper off walls.

M said...

Hello Mrs. Bayly!