Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Didn't I used to like this? (Foul language alert.)

This being winter.  I mean, I used to love snow lingering in parking lots and the crunch beneath my feet that went on for weeks.  I loved heavy, draped scarves.  And, long, intricately-patterned wool coats.
Now, not so much.  Snow lingering in parking lots is a tremendous pain in the ass when I am out and about with a two year old.  A tiny pile I might "crunch beneath my feet" is a huge impediment to her, causing much excitement and delay.  (And, for the record, I appreciate neither excitement nor delay in parking lots.)  I still love scarves, but you know who loves them more?  Josephine.  Yanking them, eating them, choking me to the floor with them, crying hysterically when I take them away.  Coats?  For me?  Forget a coat --  I don't have time for that crybaby bullshit.

I was reminded of what I would like while I was deleting pictures from my camera (preparing for a much awaited -- by Bill -- JoginiBirthdayPartyPost). 

I'd like soft, emerald green grass. 
I love sitting on it, smelling it, getting it on my knees.
I like breezes coming in through open windows.
Along with lawn mower sounds.

I'd like arms, unfettered,
From shoulders to fingertips.
I like dry, warm, legs,
Stretching out.

I'd like my get up and go back.

3 comments:

Lisie J said...

Completely in agreement, as I hide in my basement listening to my children crying/fighting/arguing with my husband. I have begun to hate cold weather, and it is making me a mean person.

Angel said...

I'd suggest moving to Florida, but the winter down here has been no fun either! (although there is no snow distraction...) it is just different down here... Ice on the windows every morning yet no one here has an ice scraper... We don't buy northern clothing, coats, gloves, etc... we just leave our house and freeze all the way. Oh, wait... but my cold snap only lasts a few weeks and then, just as the weather man predicts, freezing yesterday morning and a high of 75 tomorrow afternoon... Maybe you should move to Florida! :-)

M said...

Yes. Yes. and YES! We don't have snow but coats and such a such a pain. We went out the other night with both kids bundled and snuggled away from the freezing wind. Wade was in flip flops, pants and a t-shirt. I had a t-shirt, thin pants but had a scarf. After all the time and stress of dressing the kids, we couldn't bother to keep ourselves warm.