Saturday, June 30, 2007

Post-Partumotional

Last time I was post-partum, I was bereaved. The emotionally-charged hormone surge sweeping my body was definitely unnoticeable. And now, I am on an emotional high, so the emotions are pretty well masked again. But, the feelings do have their moments in the limelight. They come out to play their viperous games at the most inopportune moments, mostly when the topic of breastfeeding emerges, or when I see an ant. Or when I breathe. Or drink water. Or look at my pets. So completely unpredictable are these epiphanies of sadness, frustration and anger, one would be wise to undertake a constant mission to appease me. Bill, while an absolutely wonderful husband, is never one to cater to my inane mood swings. And, often this serves both of us well, forcing me to use a bit of self-control, and not allowing him to lose himself in my craziness. However, in these post-partum moments, there is a voice inside that wakes each time Bill (or anyone) tries to deal with me using logic, reason, or even kind reassurance. The voice is similar to that of a motion picture villain, and cries out, "Bow down to me, mortal man! Your words are useless here." Okay, so no one else hears the voice. Well, there is not an actual voice. But, the feelings are quite real. When my mood has ominously shifted to this seemingly uncontrollable post-partum rage, I advise now that anyone reading simply comply.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Your honesty is such a breathe of fresh air! I had the same feelings, both about breastfeeding and hormonal surges, that you do, but I was way too brain-dead to record them in any sort of meaningful fashion. Woman's work is the hardest in the world, I think, and your body is in a huge state of regaining its status quo. For me, that took a loooong time.

I love your writing, please keep it coming. Feel free to illustrate it with pics of that adorable baby!

Jessie said...

After both of my boys I suffered some serious baby-blues. All I could do was cry (yours wsa rage mine was tears) and I had no one who understood. My friends who had babies didn't suffer as we did and so every time they would call I would either ignore the call or make it quick (for fear the floodgates would open again). My mom was so concerned she thought I might hurt the baby but that was never even a thought. And since my second had such a hard time latching on it affected me even more, like I wasn't a good mommy (I know that's not what it was but when your hormonal that makes perfect since). My husband learned to keep quiet during these times and rub my back. He seemed to be the only person who truly understood that it couldn't be controlled and it wasn't aimed at anyone. I praise God that it passes and life continues on but for that time you wonder if you are the only crazed post-partum woman out there.