Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Forgive my heart in its absence today - it is with our birthday angel, Sophie Salome.


I planned to have something written today. I didn't imagine this much of the day could have gone by without an outpouring of words. But, I also didn't imagine that the pain would be so very real. That the sadness would be profound to the point of paralysis. That it would seep into every crevice and unearth every nuanced bit of myself. Uprooted.

So, I will share two stories with you on this day.

There is a boy at my school, an eighth grader that was in my class last year. He is tall, gangly, almost disturbingly patriotic, and bordering on strange. But, as with most of my children, goodness in his heart is visible in all that he does. Last week, on the playground, he walked up to me and said, "Hey Mrs. Bayly, would you like to read my biography?" The children had interviewed loved ones to garner information about life-changing experiences. Obviously, as this child must have taken pride in his work, I replied with an enthusiastic, "Yes." After rooting through his backpack for many long impatient minutes on my part, he thrust at me two crumpled sheets of typed writing. This was a story about his mother, and sister, Christine. He was hovering over my silently crying body, as I read the story of his sister, a still born baby. He wrote of how this baby was a part of his life, and about his mother's reactions, and her urge henceforth to be an even more caring and trusting mother. Attention span of a typical preteen, he ran off to play basketball, pausing for a minute to look me in the eyes and asking me "Will you hold onto this for a while?" He was gone in an instant and couldn't have heard me whisper, "Sure Eric", as I looked back down at his family's story and he bolted toward the court.

As I let my students out toward their lockers the other day, one young lady gingerly plucked a piece of paper off the work station. It was a post-it note, yellow and tattered, and scrawled in light and messy pencil across its folded front was "Mrs. Bayly". A note for me? The students, before I could stop them, tore it open and read confusedly four touching lines of poetry. The writing was of nature's beauty and life's fragility. Even more confusing to all of us was the lettering at the bottom, claiming the work was from "F.P." I took the note from them, and walked the kids down to lunch, pondering the whole way who was this mysterious F.P. While I was walking out of the lunch room, a young man approached me. He was a quiet oddity in my seventh grade class later in the day. "Mrs. Bayly...that poem was from me." I replied "Craig, it is beautiful." He blushed and stood staring at me. "Craig, who is F.P.?" Craig looked at me with the endearing and quizzical expression I have been met with so many times since. "Fair Play", was Craig's reply.

"The sky is the gown of Mother Nature". -F.P.

5 comments:

M said...

Sophie was the first thought in my mind this morning when I woke up. Her birthday. Your pain. Sophie's life, while short, was a memorable one filled with joy. Her presence made you glow, you smiled when you talked about her, and her movements made you giggle. I feel so blessed to have been a part of her world, I can still feel her kicks on the palm of my hand. In my mind, the last day of October will always be about her.

It is amazing the messages the world brings to us through others. I hope that the love and thoughts from your friends and family have brought you and Bill some amount of comfort today.

All my love,
Mary

CAGB said...

Thank you, Mary.

Anonymous said...

I remember telling you the day of your shower that you would be the most wonderful mother a girl could have. You have certainly been that. Sophie is lucky to have you as a mother.

Lora said...

I have started to write something a hundred times, but the right words aren't coming. I have typed and backspaced over so many words, each one seeming trite. How on earth do you tell a stranger how much your heart breaks for her?

I'll just say that I'm thinking about you and praying for your comfort and peace. I bet you have the most beautiful Guardian Angel :)

Anonymous said...

Cat--you are so very wonderfully expressive, as you always have been. And you are able to see what is valuable behind the surface--no wonder your students respond to you in this way and are willing to share their most tender selves with you. Your intensity and vision are not always easy and don't always feel like gifts, but they are so much a part of you, and so beautiful. You bring those parts of you to your love for our Sophie and her presence in our lives. You also bring those parts of you to your love for Bill, for the others in your life, and we love you for that.