Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Patapsco River.

So, I've lived a mile from the Patapsco River for over four years.  And, yet, I've never visited this popular little spot by the train tracks.  But the other day, I decided to take the girls for a "swim."  All in all, it was a glorious time.  The water was low and cool, and we were the only people in our general area.  But, there were a couple of problems, mostly involving, ahem, logistics:

1) It was hot as Hades.  Seriously, it was 97 degrees with 97% humidity.  All we needed to do was step outside to be essentially swimming anyway.

2) The water was at the bottom of an 11 foot drop.  So, I had to scale down with the girls.  Down was super scary.  But up was damn near impossible.

3) The girls were in regular clothes, and I didn't have any extras.

4) I was in brand new Ann Taylor capris and little peep toe dress shoes that I had just gotten and was breaking in for a wedding I'm in next week (yay!).

5) I kicked a rock off the edge of the cliff thing, as I was trying to shimmy down.  And, it sailed up in the air and--boop--popped a monarch butterfly square between the wings.  I shuddered and promise myself not to think about that misfortunate kick anymore...Until Eleanor found a single wing in the muck.  Oh my heart. 

1 comment:

Lora said...

*says a prayer for the butterfly* I can't believe you scaled 11 ft with 2 littles. They are so gorgeous, love these pics!